A team of experts led by Dr. Richard Stevens of the Open University claims to have discovered 10 simple steps to happiness.
By adopting as many as possible each day, they believe we will feel more content.
A group of volunteers from Slough in Berkshire, who took part in an experiment which followed the happiness manifesto for two months, registered a 33 per cent increase in their happiness levels.
1. Plant something and nurture it.
2. Count your blessings, at least five, at the end of each day.
3. Take time to talk. Have an hour-long conversation with a loved one each week.
4. Phone a friend who you have not said hello to for a while and arrange to meet.
5. Give yourself a treat every day and take the time to enjoy it.
6. Have a good laugh at least once a day.
7. Get physical. Exercise for half-an-hour, three times a week.
8. Smile at and/or say hello to a stranger at least once each day.
9. Cut your television viewing by at least half.
10. Spread some kindness. Do a good turn for someone daily.